Tuesday, May 8, 2007

My 46th encounter with the peacock

1.
A peacock cries
Inside its unformed light ivory tanned egg
Sobbing non-stop
During eight months of incubation

That's why we live in stoicism
No tears that flow
Even when the tap is turned on

Saying so the peacock
Honked and howled
Did bup bup bup
And wheeewheewhee


2.
Be silent
Do not wake the village up
Why?
When they wake up they start working

That tires me


3.
The peacock picked up a tenebrous pebble
Tossed it in the air
Caught the hard stone with its beak
On its way down

He said
This pebble has seen the fall and mistrustful survival
Of this township
Seen royalty sent on the road of exile
To another homeland

What makes the pebble special is
Not the fact that I can build a grave stone with it
See
It has a juicy worm
On its under-side
Making for a succulent post-lunch snack


4.
Have you seen a peacock perched on a donkey
What a preposterous question, said I
It was such an attitude
That prevented my peacock ancestors
From inventing an intelligent mass transport system


5.
My memory fails me
Why what happened I asked
I've forgotten the day
This earth became mute

No comments: